Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Choosing your second plane

Selecting your second plane will be a less daunting task than your first. Now that you know how to fly and how you want your next plane to perform you can begin researching. For my third plane, I bought a "Extra Stiffy" by Copperhead Aviation fully loaded with Hitec 56-B servos and the recommended Hacker motor and Phoenix ESC. The reviews for this plane were great. I knew I would reuse my transmitter and a receiver.

As you can see the build for this plane is not too demanding. I bought my plane a friend are pre-built and flown. I don't recommend doing this unless you truly trust the person.

If you plan to buy a new radio and high performance plane, I highly recommend you purchase a 2.4 ghz 6-channel Spectrum radio. Read the reviews! For my fifth plane I will buy the Spectrum and go nitro powered.

If I was purchase my second plane all over again I would buy a Parkzone Typhoon RTF for $215 (watch for Black Friday sales . . . I have seen for $169 at www.nesail.com). Unfortunately, I can't find a photo of it that I can save and post on this site. The plane requires very little assembly and performs very well. Parts are readily available at your LHS (local hobby store). If you purchased a 2 or 3-channel beginner's plane without a reusable servos and receiver, the Parkzone Typhoon is probably the best bet. Spurge for the lipo battery too.

Visit www.youtube.com for videos of the Parkzone Typhoon.

No comments: